Thursday, August 19, 2010

La La

Yeah, this one's kind of a personal one for me, since I actually know the family of poor La La. In fact, about ten years ago La La's mom bragged to me about the names she had chosen for her kids (normal name, normal name, and La La).

It's pronounced Layla. I've been trying to figure out for ten years now why it's not SPELLED Layla. Or Leila. Or, you know, anything with no spaces and some sort of a phonetic clue. But, sadly, La La it is. I think I almost spit out my drink the first time I realized that my friend's sister's name was, in fact, spelled in perhaps the most atrocious way possible. (Luckily said friend has no idea that Baby Name Snark even exists, so I'm fairly safe from her ever reading this. It's not her fault, anyway, we both know her mom's a moonbat.)

I don't even want to think about the trouble this girl has dealt with throughout her life regarding her name. I can't even look at it without thinking of a parade of Smurfs singing "la la la la la la" and since she is a child of the 80s like me, I'm willing to bet that I am not the only one to ever think that.

Even an added H somewhere in the name might hint at the fact that La is not, in fact, pronounced like, um, the other La.

I dunno, guys. This one just really hurts my brain. I can't see the logic here at all. (Probably because there was none- like I said, I know this family pretty well). I will say that pretty much everyone who comes into contact with this name is utterly stumped until they're informed of the correct pronunciation.

Phonetic clues, y'all... they're important.

:::sigh:::

No comments:

Post a Comment