Friday, July 9, 2010

I haven't posted in a while, but that's a good thing!

I haven't posted in a bit because I haven't run into any absolutely atrocious baby names (and because my file folder of names to snark about got deleted somehow).

Plus, it's been a busy summer.

Today, though, I need to cheer myself up, so I'll go off on a little tangent about something I read the other day.

It turns out that most other countries prevent people from inflicting horrible name choices on their offspring. Well, okay, not most other countries, but a good few. Germany, for instance, makes you pay for the privilege of naming your kid, and if you pick a name they don't like, they'll deny the name and charge you again when you submit a new (and hopefully more sane) name.

Only, they let someone name a kid "Violence."

Good one, Germany. Way to get over that, um, violent legacy of yours.

I wonder if little Violence gets in trouble at school for hitting kids? I wonder if he gives his parents a hard time at home?

Sigh. I don't advocate laws regarding naming your kids, but I do advocate a little bit of common sense and dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment